Thursday, September 10, 2015

How my lane has changed

- By Deepa Krishnan

When I was growing up, this lane behind my mother's house used to be empty.
The neighbourhood boys would play gully cricket here. We used to have sports events in this street. We made friends with all the children from other buildings on the street. We celebrated Ganpati. We hosted movie showings by rigging up cloth screens, and everyone came to watch.

Nowadays there are cars parked on both sides and the road has become narrow. We don't see any street games these days in this part of the road. People don't talk much to others in the street, because everyone is busy watching TV. Kids from all the buildings in this street don't know each other.

I was happy to see this girl cycling. It reminded me of my childhood, the old Bombay, in an era before cars multiplied.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deepa
Trying to connect re a safety app called Companion. Ref Mary Strickley. My mail us apwizard@usa.net and phone 98927-99391. Brgds, Ashok Hingorani, Mumbai.

Anita Mokashi said...

Hi Deepa,
I am from Shivaji Park ,Mumbai. Now settled in California. This pic got tears in my eyes. I wish i could go back and settle back in these lanes.
Came across your blog and fell in love with it. I blog at www.cravecookclick.com
Hope to cross paths some day :)
-Anita

coolcol said...

Deepa,
Excellent Blog . I am a retired Army officer from Kerala who has been around presently working for an MNC whose HO is in Mumbai, but based in Kerala . I do try and find my way around in Mumbai, never had the advantage the naval officers did. I am of to Dadar tomorrow despite the rains, get to the places that you have been to. hope the experience matches my expectation.
Manu