Friday, March 31, 2017

Black Pav Bhaji: Thankful Tastebuds (and Skeptical Stomach)

- by Aishwarya Pramod

Yesterday, I tried black pav bhaji at Maruti Pav Bhaji in Vile Parle. It was recommended by my friend Pooja, a long time Parle resident. I trust her judgment on food. (We have bonded over college canteen sev puris and Gurukripa samosas. My mother has been awestruck by Pooja's capacity to eat). On top of that, a Google search told me that Maruti is now featured on a few lists of Mumbai's best places to eat pav bhaji. So when the mood for pav bhaji struck, I decided to try out this joint with another friend.

We arrived a little early; the stall only opens at 7:30 PM
It's a roadside stall called Maruti. I don't know why his pav bhaji is black. Some people on the interet attribute it to black pepper while others talk of "secret black spices".

Its colour is different from the regular red pav bhaji
We asked for some extra butter in the bhaji
The pav bhaji itself was delicious. It was indeed a little different from what is usually served as pav bhaji. But a special mention goes out to the masala pav (below). It was a real bomb. It was overflowing with spice and flavour. My stomach is not yet sure how it's going to respond to this level of chilli but I already know I'm not going to have any regrets.
Best

10 comments:

Ketan said...

Found you blog as i searched for places to buy a lotus flower near my house and landed on the brahmakamal blog, been binge reading your blogs. Must say you all are amazing!

Assure Shift said...

Pav Bhaji is one my Favorited food and will love to taste from there.

avinash kumar said...

looking so tasty... yummy

Unknown said...

Mumbai is one of the most enchanting cities in India with its own unique character, a well written post! For some more stories on the city that never sleeps: http://quovadisindia.com/tales-worli-fishing-village/

Call 2 Move said...

Amazing pav bhaji is my favorite food.

site said...

nice to read this post

Unknown said...

I accidentally came upon ur blog on yellamma Devi temple at Sion koliwada.i would like to visit d temple .plz share d land mark or d address

Movers in Mumbai said...

Very nice article. Thanks for sharing this.

Ved said...

Hey..thanks for sharing this cool compilation.
I can go to any extent to try these amazing pav bhajis..I really loved them. BTW, there is a small store at the chaupati, corner side..they prepare some finger licking stuff..

Bike Car Transportation Services said...

Nice Blog. Thanks for sharing the information.