Sunday, January 04, 2015

Hara Chana Roast, Chor Bazaar

- By Deepa Krishnan

One of the pleasures of wandering around in winter in Chor Bazaar: this is Hara Chana, roasted in hot sand, over a chulha (wood fire). They're lightly salted. Simple and super-yummy. What a pleasure to eat them hot!
Chickpeas are available all round the year, but usually in dried form. The fresh form is only there in the markets for a few short winter months. Make the most of it! You can make the most awesome chaat with it. You can add it to salads. You can sprout it. In recipes that have peas, you can replace the peas with chana. I'm even putting them in upma. Enjoy :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are just awesome. Discovering something so simple and basic!!
I just love real natural street food and the green chana just stole my heart. I can just smell the roasted aroma and the gastric juices are running amok!!! Cheers, keep posting such delicasy!!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I saw these in the supermarket and passed them up because I didn't know how to prepare them, so thank you! Discovered your blog and have been catching up. Thanks for such descriptive writing, feel like I'm exploring your fab city in person!